Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Too Faced Smokey Eye Palette

"I love introducing my readers to new products and I think that 
the best reviews are those that are short and to the point, 
which is what I will attempt to do.... There is no need to fluff
up something with a lot of words! :)"



The Too Faced Smokey Eye Palette has been on my wish list for a 
long time, I find myself being drawn to Too Faced palettes even
more than Urban Decay palettes.. I think I like the fact that Too Faced Palettes
contain eye shadows with different finishes, not all shimmery/metallic
shadows. I love my mattes! There are two "SMOKEY" palettes,
one is spelled Smokey (this one) and the other one is Smoky.
I purchased this from a blog sale at a discounted price.


Basic Info:
Can Be Purchased At: Sephora, Sephora.com, and Toofaced.com
Price: Around $36 (price may vary slightly)
Contains nine eye shadows and 3 look cards. 



Packaging: 
Too Faced packaging is always gorgeous and feminine. It 
always has a classy feel to it. I love how these palettes are
packaged in the little cardboard boxes and I actually find it 
easy to travel with them, although some of you may disagree. 
The look cards are actually really nice, I find that when 
you first receive the palette it is nice to play around with the 
colors and use the cards. Three looks are already built for you, 
so for all you beginners this is perfect!

The palette is broken up into trios:
Day Look, Classic Look, and Fashion Look. 
All swatches were done in natural daylight with no primer. 




Formulation and Palette Itself:

The Mattes
The palette contains nine shadows of which three are matte:
Up In Smoke, Smokin' Hot, and Smolder. 
All three are the darkest eye shadows in the palette. And they
are the shadows that are not as smooth and easy to blend as 
the rest. Up In Smoke (the dark brown) is the most pigmented. While 
Smokin' Hot (the black) is the patchiest. Smolder (the navy) is in the middle. 
Of course, you can work with them but they are not the
smoothest matte eye shadows I have encountered. 

The Highlights
Firefly, White Lies, and In A Flash are all metallic silver based
highlights. I find that Firefly has the least metallic looks and it looks 
like a taupy-gray in the palette. It makes a great highlight
for a brown smokey eye. White Lies is a frosty white/silver color that 
brings amazing light into the inner corner of the eyes! In A Flash
is a bold, in your face, true metallic silver... a wash of this on the lid 
looks amazing and show stopping! All of the highlights are amazingly
soft, blend-able, and pigmented. Of course the silvery tone of them
might not be everyones cup of tea. 

The Lid Colors
My favorite part of this palette are the lid colors, they are all so different 
and can be transformed into many of looks. Cloves (the dirty bronze color) is 
my favorite of the bunch, it looks amazing by itself or paired with 
warm brown colors. It has a high metallic finish that intensifies
any look. Nice Ash (the gunmetal grey) is a great transition
color for a black smokey eye, it also has a high metallic finish. 
Smoking Jacket (violet/blue color) is an interesting color. It looks more
of a navy in the palette but when swatched it has violet hues. It is a 
gorgeous color that makes my eyes pop! Definitely a unique color in my collection!

Overall:
This palette has cute packaging along with amazing shadows,
the mattes could be a bit smoother but overall it is a good palette to have. 
My favorite eye shadows are Smoking Jacket, White Lies, and Clovers.
PS: The names are fun!




















6 comments:

  1. I'd rather go for Natural At Night, this one is too cool for my yellow face.
    I just love the layout of these Too Faced palettes, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good point! It definitely is on the cool side! :)

      Delete
  2. Great review! this looks really good!
    http://starvogue84.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. it looks amazing! I want at least one of their palettes

    ReplyDelete
  4. The eye palette looks cute!
    xo,
    ~Pauline @Kallony

    ReplyDelete