Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Makeup for School Pictures (Guest Post)

I'm so happy that Jessica agreed to do this post for me.. I was really interested in reading her thoughts because she works with professional photographers and I knew she would have a lot of tips for how to do your makeup in School Pictures. School picture day is that day we have a love-hate relationship with, some people either love their picture or hate it... there is no in between. 


Jessica Rivera works as a freelance makeup artist in Florida... please check out her blog. She's AMAZING :) !


And any other questions, tips, suggestions leave them below. 


ON TO THE GUEST POST :)


The lovely Marla has asked me to write a guest blog on makeup for your school photos. Now, it has been 6 years since I took school photos, but the same rules apply:

1. Just for that one day, I'd stay away from sunscreen. It could reflect off the flash and give your face a white glow. If you foundation has SPF in it, that is okay as long as you set it with a powder to take away the glossy shine you get from SPF.

2. You might not get to take your photos as soon as you get to school, so you want your makeup to last throughout the school day and lunch! So bring your makeup to school with you and use a face primer and eye primer.

3. Make sure your face primer is made for your skin type. If you are dry, using a rich moisturizer can work as a primer. If you are oily, use a mattifying primer like Urban Decay's De-Slick in a tube primer.

4. If you really want to go the extra mile in making that makeup last and can afford it, set your makeup with a finishing spray. I've heard cheerleaders spray their face with hairspray so that their makeup stays in tact, is that true!?

5. Keep your makeup simple and classic. If you go with some crazy trend, you will look back in 10 years and wish you could take that day back! Neutral makeup is the best way to go. Think about it, the more simple you keep it, less chances of you messing up some crazy cat eyeliner look you thought would look cool.

6. If you fill in your brows, make sure you use a light hand and use a shade lighter than your hair color.

7. Stay away from glitter! The flash reflecting off of it will not make for a cute day picture. Plus, if glitter gets on your face, it'll be worse.

8. Touch up RIGHT before you take your photo. Check for any eyeshadow or mascara fallout, lipstick on the teeth, eye boogers lol

9. Do your makeup at home and take photos. This will teach you how much flash photography washes out your makeup and you will learn how much makeup really needs to be applied.And just to prove a point, here is a picture of me in 10th grade, (I'm the one on the right), and my hair is ridiculous! But at the time, I thought it was so amazing! LOL



Thanks Marla for asking me to guest blog! You can find me at http://www.makeupbyrivera.com

4 comments:

  1. Lol I totally forgot that I put that picture in it hahahaha ah memories. Thanks Marla!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Jessica! <3 Great post and I love that old picture of her. Hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Man, I wish I had these tips a couple years ago! Even my Senior Pictures didn't turn out all that great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fun post, I'm long done with school photos but these are some generally good tips for makeup photography in here!

    ReplyDelete